If you want to create any result in your business, or even your life, you have to know two important things: what you want and why you want it.
When starting a business, we often jump in with as many service offerings as we can think of, and chase as many customers as we can – whether or not those services and customers are in line with our most authentic and true business vision.
Strong businesses are built on strong foundations. To create this foundation, you need clarity, because clarity equals power. The more clear you are about what you want and why you want it, the faster and easier it will be to create results.
Below is an exercise in clarity. Take out a pen and paper and get started!
What do you want?
Whatever it is, you have to be crystal clear about the outcome. If you just started, maybe you want to get your first 10 paying clients within the next 6 months. If you’re already successful, maybe you’re looking to double or triple your profit. Or maybe you’ve been at this for awhile, and you want to take more time off and automate more of your business. Write it down.
Why do you want it?
Now that you know what you want, you have to have a really good reason for wanting it. Without a clear why, there’s no emotion or excitement. If you have enough good reasons to do something, you’ll do it. Write it down.
This is effective!
If you have enough reasons to have your business, you’re going to follow through. When you’re clear on what you want and why you want it, you become unstoppable. Research proves it. Dr. Gail Matthews, a Psychology Professor at a University in California, did a study on goal setting with 267 participants. She found out that you are 42% more likely at achieving your goals just by writing them down.
How do you to get it?
Now, let’s talk about steps you can take right now to start getting the results you want. Here is a highly effective brainstorming exercise that you can use for literally anything that you want. First, take out a piece of paper. At the top of the page, select a goal from the list you came up with earlier, under “What do you want?” and write it down. Then, you will come up with a list of 20 ways you can bring this goal to life. What are 20 ideas you can think of to make this happen?
Let’s consider an example.
Say you’re a health coach, and one of your goals is to increase your profits enough to put aside money for an emergency savings account. You want this, because a savings account provides you with financial security. So, here are some ideas to bring this idea to life:
- You can launch a new service, like a bridal program, if that’s your market.
- You can create a new product. Perhaps you enjoy blending oils and can sell them.
- You can commit to attend 2 networking events per month to increase your contact list.
- You can raise your rates.
- You can create a referral program to increase client intake.
- You can put yourself on a strict budget.
- You can automate your business management to online platforms so that you spend less time on admin work and more time with clients.
- You can talk with your friends about your goal and see if they have ideas or opportunities for you.
- You can join a coaching association and market your services within their platform.
- You can host paying workshops or classes.
- You can be a guest host in someone else’s workshop or program.
- You can build a strategic partnership with a colleague and pass referrals or build a program together.
- You can collaborate with a yoga studio to provide a service or presentation for their members, if that’s your market.
- You can create an opt-in offer on your website to increase your leads and your client base.
- You can lead a regular meet up that supports other business owners and shares references.
- You can submit a guest blog or article to a relevant publication.
- You can work with influencers to help get the word out about your services.
- You can submit your business to directories.
- You can train yourself to optimize your website.
- You can attend the Empowered Marketing Workshop Series to get better at marketing and learn new ways to market yourself.
Hope this helps provide some clarity in your business. Good luck in making your business goals possible!